Yoga And Purification
Yoga goes with the common saying: Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Yoga is for purification and the first step to purification would be to clean the body first. For cleaning the body and for the body health in general, cold water bath, steam bath and sunbathing can be rejuvenating and beneficial in many ways.
Cold Water Bath Benefits
- A bath daily in cold water in the early morning before Sunrise should be a part of everyone’s routine.
- It improves the blood circulation.
- It is invigorating, energizing and refreshing.
- The water that gets cooled during the night evolves much oxygen in the early morning before Sunrise.
Tepid Bath Benefits / Steam Bath Benefits
- A plunge bath in the running water of rivers is very exhilarating and strengthening.
- One can also enjoy a shower bath and relish.
- Tepid bath stops renal colic (renal colic is a sharp pain in the lower back that radiates into the groins). A tepid hip bath is also helpful during menstruation and a free flow of urine.
- A steam bath is useful in joint and muscular pain.
- Tepid sponging is useful in a fever for bringing down the temperature.
After having taken the bath, rub the body nicely with a rough towel. This will help open the pores of the skin and cleanse the skin properly.
Bath after Yoga
- One should not take a cold bath immediately after performing Yoga asanas or Pranayama or any exercise.
- He should allow the body to cool down first.
- A gap of an hour between the yogic kriya and cold bath is recommended.
Bath After Meal
- One should never bathe soon after the meals, as it will interfere with the digestion.
Health Benefits Of Sunbathing
Sun is the source of all energy and power. If the sun does not shine for a day or two on account of the clouds, the vitality falls and the spirits do not remain good. Flowers, plants, birds, and men rejoice as soon as the sun rises above the horizon. The sun supplies energy to all living beings.
The rays of the sun bestow on all living beings a wonderful health. Build your house on the western bank of a river or a lake. The deflected life from these source of water is more beneficial and potent than the direct rays. Such rays and the rays from the rising sun are blessings from the God for the preservation of health as well as for the cure of diseases. These rays possess antiseptic and germicidal properties. We have been seeing housewives exposing their blankets, bedsheets, mattresses, pillows and even the clothes to the sun quite often. These sun rays provide a cheap and easily available tonic, a disinfectant, an antiseptic and a potent germicide.
The sun is a great cure for various skin diseases including leprosy. The morning sun emits ultraviolet rays and can do work wonders for them. Besides leprosy, tuberculosis, rheumatism, obesity, anemia, eczema, rickets, colds, etc can also be treated with sun rays.
Wear a thin and light dress and walk on the western bank of a river or lake during early morning hours at sunrise. You can run, do Surya Namaskar, or do other asanas. You will enjoy great sunbath. Expose your mouth to the rays of the rising sun. Let the rays penetrate your nostrils also. Keep your eyes closed. Let the rays of the rising sun fall on your closed eyes for two to three minutes. This will improve your eyesight and remove short-sightedness. Practice pranayama and deep breathing exercises.
Expose your back to the rays of the sun by lying on the blanket. If you feel that the rays are hot enough to bear them, cover your back with a green plantain leaf. Remain in this position for some fifteen to twenty minutes till you perspire freely. This is very useful in lumbago and rheumatism and other diseases of the skin.
One who practice Surya Namaskar at sunrise and repeat the twelve names of the sun : Om Mitraya Namah, Om Ravaye Namah, Om Suryayah Namah, Om Bhanve Namah, Om Khagay Namah, Om Pushne Namah, Om Hiranya Garbhayah Namah, Om Marichaye Namah, Om Adityaya Namah, Om Savitre Namah, Om Arkaya Namah, Om Bhaskaraya Namah with every pose, possess wonderful health, vigour and vitality.