Baddha Konasana – Butterfly Yoga Pose – Benefits & Steps
Baddha Konasana is also called Butterfly Yoga Pose and Bound Angle Pose. It is a seated pose that strengthens and opens the hips and groin. Baddha Konasana is made up of three Sanskrit words viz. “Baddha”, which means Bound, “Kona” which means angle and the word “Asana” means Pose, hence the name Bound Angle Pose. The final pose resembles the shape of a butterfly so it is also called as butterfly yoga pose. Butterfly Pose plays an important role in boosting fertility and stimulating the abdominal organs.
This pose is believed to have origins in the typical sitting positions of the Indian Cobblers, hence is also called The Cobbler Pose.
Baddha Konasana Steps
- Spread a Yoga Mat and sit on it with spine erect.
- If you find it difficult to sit on the floor, you may a pillow or a blanket to raise your hips.
- Close your eyes and breathe normally.
- Bend your legs from knee joints and bring the soles of the feet together.
- Clasp your feet with both hands.
- Keep the heels as close to your pelvis as possible.
- Now try to lower the knees towards the floor.
- You can take help of your elbows to press the thighs to bring the knees towards the floor.
- Stay in the final pose, with knees as close to the floor as possible.
- You should be careful that your knees should never ever be forced on the ground.
- This pose can be held from 1- 5 minutes.
Baddha Konasana Benefits
- Baddha Konasana stretches the inner thighs and relieves them of accumulated tension.
- This asana removes the tiredness of the legs which may be due to long hours of standing or walking.
- Baddha Konasana is the best exercise for relaxing and stretching the aching thighs.
- This asana is very good for pregnant women as it helps them during delivery and enriches the reproductive system
- Baddha Konasana stimulates the kidneys and other abdominal organs.
- It is very good for the prostate gland.
Baddha Konasana Contraindications
- This asana should be avoided in case of Groin or knee injury.
- In case of lower back injury, you should consult your doctor first and then practice this pose.
Baddha Konasana gives your inner thighs and groins a good stretch. It enhances the flexibility of your hips, ankles, and knees. It is also a great prenatal pose. It not only enriches the reproductive system but also increases fertility and helps pregnant women during delivery. Start practicing this asana for good physical and mental health and happiness.