Chakki Chalanasana Yoga Pose & Benefits
Chakki Chalanasana is also called Churning the Mill Yoga Pose. In simple words, the meaning of Chakki is “Grinding Mill” while the meaning of Chalana is “drive” and the Asana means “Pose”. In India, the hand moved grinders have been very common in homes a few decades back and may be seen in use in far-off villages even now. These home grinding mills are used by women to churn wheat, pulses etc. While practicing this asana, the body movement appears as if the practitioner is churning a grinding mill and hence the name Chakki Chalanasana.
Chakki Chalanasana Yoga Steps
- Sit on a Yoga Mat with the legs stretched out in front of the body.
- Separate the legs as wide as possible.
- Interlock the fingers of both hands and hold the arms out straight in front of the chest.
- Start making large circular movements, taking the hands over both the toes on the forward swing and coming as far back as possible on the backward swing.
- Synchronize the movement of the body with the breath.
- Exhale while moving forward and inhale while moving backward.
- Imagine the action of churning the mill with an old-fashioned stone grinder during the practice.
- The movement of the body should be smooth and from the waist.
- There should be a complete awareness of the sensations in the lower back, hips and the pelvic area.
- One rotation means one round completed.
- Practice 5 to 10 rounds in the clockwise direction and then the same number of rounds in the anti-clockwise direction.
Chakki Chalanasana During Pregnancy
- Chakki Chalanasana or Churning the Mill Yoga Pose may be performed during the first three months of pregnancy.
- It is an excellent exercise for postnatal recovery as it helps in re-toning the flaccid muscles.
Chakki Chalanasana Contraindications
- Chakki Chalanasana should not be practiced by people who have chronic spinal issues like Slipped Disc.
Chakki Chalanasna Precautions
- One should not overexert or strain during the practice of Chakki Chalanasana or Churning the Mill Yoga Pose.
Chakki Chalanasana Benefits
- Chakki Chalanasana is an excellent exercise for toning the nerves and organs of the abdomen and pelvis.
- This asana improves the energy flow within the body and breaks down the neuro-muscular knots.
- This asana also eliminates energy blockages of the spine.
- Regular practice of Chakki Chalanasana helps improve endocrine function.
- This asana is useful for those with a stiff back.
- It is good for menstrual problems and toning the pelvic organs and muscles.
- It is an excellent asana for post-natal recovery.
- Chakki Chalanasana practice every day will help to alleviate the stress associated with PCOS.
- Churning the mill pose also helps in getting rid of excess fats from the belly when practiced regularly and is a very good yoga pose for weight loss.