Naukasana (Boat Pose Yoga Or Navasana) Benefits
Categorized under the digestive/abdominal group of Yogasanas, the name Navasana Or Naukasana comes from the combination of two Sanskrit words ‘Nauka’ OR ‘Nava’, both the words meaning ‘boat’ and ‘asana’ meaning ‘posture’ or ‘seat’. In the final position of this asana, the body takes the shape of a boat. So is the name Naukasana, or the boat pose or Navasana. The excess fats from the belly are removed by the practice of this asana. With Navasana, you build strong abdominal muscles or core strength that can help support your lower back and helps you to do many more yoga poses.
Boat Pose Yoga (Naukasana) Steps
- Spread a yoga mat and lie flat on the back with your legs close to each other and straight.
- Put your palms on the thighs keeping the arms straight and relax.
- This is the starting position.
- Keep your eyes open throughout the practice.
- Inhale and while holding the breath, raise your legs, shoulders, head, and trunk off the ground.
- Keep your head and feet approximately 6 to 8 inches off the floor.
- Also, raise your arms in such a manner that they are in line with the toes.
- Keep your hands open with palms facing down and fingers pointed towards toes.
- Allow the weight of the body to rest on the buttocks.
- Fix your gaze on the toes.
- This is the final position.
- Remain in the final position as long as comfortable and without straining.
- Breathe out and return to the starting position.
- Relax in Savasana.
Naukasana (Navasana) Precautions
- People suffering from a severe headache and migraine should avoid this yoga pose.
- People suffering from spinal disorders also should not practice this yoga pose.
Naukasana (Navasana Or Boat Pose) Benefits
- This asana stimulates the muscular, digestive, blood circulatory, nervous and glandular systems.
- Naukasana tones all the organs of the body.
- Navasana or Boat Pose Yoga is very good for bodyweight loss.
- Naukasana is a really good and effective way of burning belly fat.
- It strengthens the muscles of the heart.
- It makes the practitioner active and energized.
- The nervous tension is removed and a sense of deep relaxation is achieved by the practitioner of this yoga pose.
- With Navasana, you build strong abdominal muscles or core strength that can help support your lower back.
- It improves the health of all organs in the abdomen especially the Pancreas, Liver, and Kidneys.
Very Important Benefit Of Naukasana For Females
During Naukasana, an automatic inward pull is induced which sucks the uterus upwards and holds it in that position for some time. This makes the supporting ligaments of the uterus very strong. Of course, this doesn’t happen in one day, but within two, three, or four months.
It is advisable to practice Naukasana before the practice of Yoga Nidra as it helps the practitioner to achieve a deeper sense of relaxation.
For softening of the abdominal muscles, you can also read –