Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose
One of the backward bend Yoga poses, Kandharasana is also known as shoulder pose. In Sanskrit, the Word ‘Kandha’ means shoulders and the meaning of ‘Asana’ is pose or posture. And so is the name Kandharasana. In the final pose of this asana, the weight of the body is supported by shoulders, arms, neck, feet, and even the head. Kandharasana is excellent for Women as it tones the female reproductive organs, relieves them of menstrual problems and is very good for the women who have a tendency to miscarriage.
- Spread a yoga mat and lie in Savasana on it.
- Bend both knees and place the soles of the feet flat on the floor with the heels placed close to the buttocks.
- The feet and knees should be at least hip-width apart.
- Grasp the ankles with the hands.
- This is the starting position.
- Inhale deeply and while retaining the breath inside raise the buttocks and arch the back upward.
- Raise the chest as high as possible without straining, pushing it towards the chin and the head.
- The feet and the shoulder should firmly touch the ground.
- The weight of the body in the final pose is supported by your shoulders, feet, arms, neck and the head.
- Hold the final position for as long as is comfortable (In the Final pose, try to hold the breath or breath normally if the pose held for a longer period).
- While breathing out lower the body and return to the starting position.
- Release the ankles, stretch the legs and relax in Shavasana.
- This completes one round.
- Practice 2 or 3 rounds.
- The Kandharasana should not be practiced by people suffering from peptic or duodenal ulcers.
- This asana should not be practiced by people suffering from an abdominal hernia.
- Avoid the asana if there is a severe knee pain.
- Kandharasana is excellent for strengthening the female reproductive organs. The practice of this asana prevents miscarriage problems by improving the health of Uterus and management of prolapse (also see Sarvangasana).
- It is an excellent yoga asana for the management of menstrual disorders.
- Kandharasana is a good exercise for lower back pain and it helps realign the spine.
- As the name suggests, this yoga asana eliminates rounded shoulders.
- Kandharasana massages and tones the abdominal organs. This yoga exercise is very good for people suffering from asthma and various bronchial conditions.
- The shoulder pose is also good for the thyroid gland.
- The asana should be followed or preceded by a forward bending asana like Pawanmuktasana, Paschimottanasana or Shashankasana.