Sphinx Pose – Saral Bhujangasana
Saral Bhujangasana, also called Sphinx Pose or Easy Cobra Pose, is an excellent preparatory pose for the backward bending Yoga Poses like Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose), Dhanurasana (Bow Pose), Ustrasana (Camel Pose), Chakrasana (wheel pose) and other backward bends. It is one of the excellent Yoga Poses for beginners as it is much easy for them to hold the pose for an extended period of time. It eases the erector spinae (the set of muscles that straighten and rotate the back) into the back bending action, slowly preparing the back and spine for moving into more intense variations. This asana is especially good for the stiff back.
Sphinx Pose Steps
- Spread a Yoga Mat and lie flat on the stomach on it.
- Allow the forehead to rest on the floor.
- Keep the legs straight, feet together and the toes pointing backward.
- Bend the arms and place the forearms on the floor with the palms facing downward on each side of the head.
- The fingertips should point forward and should be in line with the crown of the head.
- Keep the elbows tucked into the sides of the body.
- Inhale and lift the head, chest, and shoulders up, so that elbows are directly under the shoulders and the upper arms making a right angle with the floor.
- The forearms, elbows, and hands will be resting on the floor.
- Hold the position for a comfortable period of time and keep on breathing normally.
- If comfortable, the final position can be held for 4 to 5 minutes as a static pose.
- Become aware of the breath, follow it and become aware of the back relaxing with every breath.
- Exhale, lower the body down.
Sphinx Pose Benefits
- Saral Bhujangasana or the Sphinx yoga pose helps keep the spine supple and healthy.
- This Yoga Pose alleviates the back pain.
- Saral Bhujangasana strengthens the arms and shoulders.
- Sphinx Pose is an excellent preparatory pose for other backward bending Yoga poses.
- The regular practice of this Yogasana relieves the stiff back.
- This asana is good for the respiratory system.
- Sphinx Asana gently massages the abdominal organs and improves their functioning.
- It is one of the easy yoga poses and can be made a part of Yoga for beginners.
Sphinx Pose Sequence
Also, read –